Monday, February 2, 2015

OLD AND NEW | A COMPARISON

I recently found some old gems (that I desperately wish I had dated), and will be sharing them here today as a comparison to show how far I've come in a few years, thanks to much practice and time spent (after all, there is no talent, only perseverance).

Let's begin....

THEN...


Est. 2007 | Marker on Paper


Est. 2009 | Acrylic on Canvas


2011 | Acrylic on Canvas Board


NOW...


Chickadee
S. Thomson
2014
Oil on 5 x 7 Canvas Board

It appears I've been obsessed with birds from a very young age and only recently have I taken it to an extreme level.

---
THEN...


Est. 2007 | Marker on Paper

NOW...


Claude Monet's "Poppy Field"
S. Thomson
2011
Oil on Canvas

Seems I had a thing for women in hats walking in fields. Even my copy of Monet's painting, done four years ago now, could be improved upon greatly. However, the contrast is evident.

---

For this next drawing I have no comparison, because I see no need for improvement. I had no recollection of this drawing until I discovered it late last week. It's a scene showing us playing House on the swing set, accurate right down to the dress up clothes (Left to Right: Stephanie, Caroline (above), Rachel (below), Maggie).


Est. 2007 | Marker on Paper

---

It's interesting to see the difference between (estimated) nine year old me and seventeen year old me. If that much improvement can happen in roughly ten years, I'm excited to see what can happen in the next ten. I can see a difference in just a few years, looking back at old paintings I was once so proud of but now can see so many flaws. After all...

"Art is longing. You never arrive, but you keep going in the hope that you will."
-Anselm Kiefer

No comments:

Post a Comment