Thursday, February 5, 2015

SKETCHES | MIXING STYLES

When I feel stumped for ideas I usually hop on some handy site and research artists with styles I am attracted to and recreate my favorites of their work.

Andrew Loomis (1892-1959) was one of those artists. I specifically enjoyed his portraits and sketches, and copied his drawing of this woman...


Andrew Loomis Copy
S. Thomson
2013
Pencil on Paper



When I copy, I usually am not trying to copy the original artist's drawing exactly. I take it and change it somewhat. The reason for this is either a) I don't like how they did it originally, or b) I cannot seem to make it look exact. For this sketch, it was the former. I simply did not care for the (realistic) face structure and decided to go more whimsical.


Orignal Drawing by Andrew Loomis

Come back next week for more paintings and commissions! Most of my time has been spent on a bigger engagement that has taken precedent over all pleasure painting and drawing. However, I will be sharing more details on both that project and photos from upcoming paintings and commissions in the coming weeks.

---

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
-Leonardo da Vinci

No comments:

Post a Comment