Thursday, January 29, 2015

THE SPORT OF FALCONRY | DREA

Ever since my sister Caroline and I began the sport of falconry and trapped our birds September 5, 2013, I've wanted to somehow paint them. However, their initial care and training took so much time that no painting or drawing was possible, and the following hunting season also took a toll on my free time. However in September of 2014 I buckled down and painted one.


2015 | Drea hunting


2015 | Criere sitting on a catch

As a thank you to my dad for his support with falconry, I painted a picture of Drea, Caroline's Female, Red-Tailed hawk. It now hangs in his office, a constant reminder that though he may be working, the field is always waiting.

Female Red-Tailed Hawk | Drea
S. Thomson
2014
Oil on Canvas
Incidentally, Caroline and I were recently featured in the Indy Star. Check it out here.

---

"Come forth into the light of things; let nature be your teacher."
-William Wordsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment