Thursday, February 26, 2015

COPY | WASSILY KANDINSKY

The thing with commissions is that they always challenge me to try new avenues. And it is the same with my most recent painting: a copy of Wassily Kandinsky's "Black Circle." 

A lifelong friend requested a copy of a Kandinsky painting after she discovered he is part of her bloodline. So I researched and spent many hours drawing and measuring. This is also the biggest canvas I have yet attempted to paint (3 feet by 3 feet!), making it that much more of a challenge.


Black Circle | Kandinsky Copy
S. Thomson
February 2015
Oil on 36 x 36 inch Canvas

This painting did not require much technical work, but mostly measuring and color mixing. These are not areas I usually practice (though I should focus more on color mixing: it is something I'm working on), so I enjoyed working in them.

The original differs in some areas, mostly caused by the circles not being placed exactly the same as the original, causing the lines not to e exactly correct, but the differences are so minute I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it.


Though this type of abstract art is not an area I will most likely pursue, testing the waters with this project was both a good learning experience and enjoyable exercise.

For once I was focused enough to take "in progress" photos, and will be sharing those here as well. First you will see the original pencil sketch, which took several hours to lay out.







---

"Art lives upon discussion, upon experiment, upon curiosity, upon variety of attempt, upon exchange of views, and the comparison of viewpoints."
-Henry James

No comments:

Post a Comment