Wednesday, February 18, 2015

PEN TO PAINT | THE BARN

In 2012 I drew this simple pen & ink sketch of a barn from my imagination. 


Quick Study | Barn Sketch
S. Thomson
2012
Pen on Paper

That same year I decided I liked it enough to try and paint it. I began, completed the sky and barn, and was stumped as to how to paint the other half of the picture: the grass. It then sat for three years, patiently waiting completion. I pulled it out a couple weeks ago and have been slowly painting it in between other projects. Today I finished it up and signed it. 

This project was unique in that it had no real life counterpart, as in no photo to follow. It therefore had no "rules." So I painted what I imagined: and quite like the result.


Quick Study | Barn Sketch | Oil Painting
S. Thomson
2015
Oil on 11 x 14 inch Canvas

---

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt it."
- Henry J. Kaiser

No comments:

Post a Comment