Saturday, January 17, 2015

ISTANBUL & MYKONOS | PAINTINGS FROM ABROAD

Two of the most recent additions to our walls are representations of both the Hagia Sophia (an architectural phenomenon located in Istanbul) and a scene from the streets of the Greek Island, Mykonos.

Thank you to my family for their religious (pardon the pun) commitment to picture taking on their long trip last year, on which they saw these beautiful sights in person.

The Hagia Sophia
S. Thomson
2015
Oil on Canvas

Colors that rarely are used in painting are true blue and red. When I saw hints of both in the original photo, I exaggerated their brightness, leading ultimately to a very vibrant finish.

The Streets of Mykonos
S. Thomson
2014
Oil & Acrylic on Canvas

Though the poor quality photo distorts the true colors of this painting, the streets' striking blue hues were the principal focal point of the photo and the overall composition, and still are.

What usually happens is as soon as I complete a painting is that I give it away. I'm determined to end this trend by merely painting more: allowing me to give away and keep at a more equalized pace. However, my high hopes for keeping paintings perhaps may not be realized in the next few weeks. Check back Thursday (January 22) for the reveal of my latest commission, as well as a sneak peak of some upcoming projects.

Anyone taking a trip this year? Want a custom painting of your favorite location? Contact information here.

---

"A picture is an unusual combination of lines and colors that set one another off."
-Edgar Degas

No comments:

Post a Comment